[NSRCA-discussion] Takeoff tech. in crosswind.

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Oct 5 03:25:19 AKDT 2006

Taildraggers are a lot more forgiving when flown from grass, IMHO.  (As long as the grass does not cause the model to nose over.)

  For a lot of taildraggers, especially scale types (P51), I think it is better to do what Del said, especially when flying from asphalt. There is a moment during the takeoff roll when the tailwheel has very little traction due to the tail starting to lift off the ground, but before there is enough airflow over the rudder to give much steering effect. The chances of a groundloop during this time are much higher, especially in a crosswind. Getting up on the throttle quicker is usually a good thing in this instance.

  Pattern planes don't suffer from this problem nearly as much, since the stance on the ground allows the tailwheel to stay in contact during the whole takeoff run if desired, just a little up elevator will do it. Having a really long tail and large vertical tail surfaces helps as well.

  Dean had a VERY good magazine article recently about proper landing gear arrangements for trikes and taildraggers. IIRC, the only thing he did NOT mention was the height.  Excessively nose-high setups on taildraggers make for poor ground handling, for the reasons I mentioned above.

  JMHO.

  Bob R.

Richard Strickland <richard.s at allied-callaway.com> wrote:
      I guess it is what you are used to--I feel just the opposite!

  Richard