[NSRCA-discussion] Takeoff tech. in crosswind.

Del K. Rykert drykert2 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Oct 4 12:59:56 AKDT 2006

What works well for me is to quickly throttle up to 1/3rd to 1/2 throttle depending on amount and degree of crosswind component then smoothly apply the rest of throttle as needed to get your prop blast working on your rudder till having enough speed to have better rudder authority. Can't help the occasional loss of track or hitting bumps in runway at that crucial time..  I ask my caller to place the aircraft and test role it back and forth couple of feet to see if wheel will be hitting any big bumps.  Does keep the plane for me under control on takeoffs and I have flown in some severe stuff...  Canopies were flying on the flight line.

    Del