[NSRCA-discussion] Avoidance

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Wed Oct 4 10:44:19 AKDT 2006

I'd vary from others already... if the deviation from the prescribed maneuver is to avoid a midair... no downgrade if I'm in the chair.  Complete the maneuver best you can... or refly it.

If you put in the rulebook to allow the avoidance with no penalty... you probably would need to require the affected maneuver to be reflown every time for consistancey.  Might even offer a landing and refly the whole flight...

Its safer if there's no mid-airs... you won't have a crippled plane limping in while another plays uncontrolled lawn dart.  While all of the cripples I have seen being flown in after a mid-air have landed fairly safely.... I think there's been a lot of luck involved.

I really don't understand how the pilot managed in one case.  Huge divot out of a wing,, dragging an aileron ripped off its hinges on the same side... damage to the tailplanes.. and he brought it in like a feather.