[NSRCA-discussion] If you don't score by the rules....don'tadvertise a rulebook event

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Wed Oct 4 09:25:17 AKDT 2006

Clear Day
  Cigarette butts(filters) used to make excellent wheel chocks.  It was
almost automatic to pick one up on the way out to set the plane down and
stick it in front of the nose wheel...  Saved time...  About the time I sort
of got my act together on TOs and landings, they quit scoring them(or I
moved up and they didn't score them)--CRS disease again...sigh...   With
trikes, the cool deal was to lift the nose wheel, roll along for awhile as
the airplane gently lifted off.  Landing was to wheel on the mains and
gently lower the nose-OR hold it off for a while.  Seems like Steve Helms
did some of the prettiest ones....

  With conventional gear, pretty TOs and landings are a little more
difficult to do well, but I tend to think a guy that can run it right down
the centerline, roll it on and off smoothly OUGHT to have an edge.  I know
this has been suggested before--but a guy who does lovely TOs and landings
WILL make a better initial impression and the judges will EXPECT a better
flight.  The 'gun and go' guys are shooting themselves in the foot.

  RS