[NSRCA-discussion] Impression or precision judging?

Jim Oliver nsrca_1133 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 06:03:21 AKDT 2006

Hi Chris,
  Before I began to type, I put my flame suit on!!
  My answer to your questions are; Yes and Yes.

  Further--in a perfect world (whatever/wherever that is), I think each maneuver in each sequence should begin with a perfect score and then be downgraded for each error as the maneuver is flown. The problem is that I would wind up owing the judges before the flight is finished.

  I also fly a little Control Line Precision Aerobatics--the range of points is a Max of 40 for perfection of a maneuver to a Low of 10 points for attempting a maneuver.
  It is possible that RC pattern would benefit a bit with a broader range of points for each maneuver. I suppose that could be accomplished by scoring to the 1/10 of a point while retaining the 0-10 range.

  The little judging experience which I have proves to me that there is little time to do mental arithmetic while judging--so I'm not sure what the best answer is.  For me, this relatively short time for judging causes me to be tempted to do "impression" judging rather than "precision" judging.  I have not heard any others mention this problem, so maybe it is just my lack of skill/experience.

  Comments?

  Jim

"White, Chris" <chris at ssd.fsi.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
  I’d love to hear some feedback to the following: (or maybe not, but it might help my understanding of what we’re trying to accomplish in our judging/flyingJ)

  Question:
  Isn’t clinical precision flying the only way to attempt to remove impression judging?  Shouldn’t the sequence itself if flown to precision “be” the art form?

  Example 1:
  I saw one pilot fly the FAI sequence at our contest last June
. To me his flying was clinically precise without any “Style” of his own.  I mean that very much as a compliment.  The roll rates and radiuses and speeds to me were very consistent
.his timing and flight line control were very “Clinically precise”  It struck me at that if a computer GPS link could have been flown with an autopilot laying out the perfectly executed sequence he would have been close.  The nearly perfect geometry of the sequence spoke for itself.

  Example 2:
  An example of impression that I can think of would be some of the point rolls that I used to see in the 70’s
.the ones that kind of slip & lock into each point (exaggerated lock in), but I could not score them better than points that merely stop where they are supposed to with minimum fanfare
..could I? (In fact since one could argue that the roll rate changes to get that effect it could be downgraded more
..)  But I like it, its an individual preference, but to the letter of the law its incorrect.

  Maybe we should judge by technical merit and each judge give an overall “Impression” rating someplace on the scoresheet???

  (Wow I spent all this time trying to think of how to word this
.Gee do I hit the send button

.??????  I hope this strikes a positive chord somewhere
okay my motive is to learn so I’ll send it.)
  Chris White