[NSRCA-discussion] Lithium Ion batteries

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 30 07:31:02 AKST 2006

Vicente,

For the 30 years I've been using rechargeably batteries in RC, I have had one nicad and one nimh vent and smoke - no fire, no explosion, but definitely very hot and smoldering.  Certainly hot enough to have caused a fire if in a different environment.  In both cases, I was close enough to smell the problem and remove the batteries from the plane without damage to anything other than the batteries (and maybe some charred/scorch marks).

Point being, ANY battery can have a problem.  The higher the energy density and larger the amount of energy stored, the greater the potential problem.  And it would seem in RC applications, the more mature battery technologies are the safest for our typical use, but some would advocate never charging any battery unsupervised.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

From: vicenterc at comcast.net

Here are the safety instructions for TP batteries web site:

http://www.thunderpower-batteries.com/images/THPSafetyWarnings.pdf

I could not find the safety instructions on the Duralite web site.

Here the safety instructions from Fromeco web site:

http://www.fromeco.org/shop/ainstructions%20batteries.htm

The problem I have is that I don't have time to baby sit while the battery are charging.  I try to do it with my small electric planes and I can not imagine babysitting all my planes while charging.  Probably this is the only issue I have in regard lithium batteries.  Do we really need to follow this instructions?  If not, the manufactures will need to take the risk and take those instructions out from the web sites.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: "Pete Cosky" <pcosky at comcast.net>

I had bought a few NMP 2400 mAh packs from Central last year. I don't see them on their website now though.

I am apprehensive to go Li-Poly due to the packaging and possibility of damage and fire. The Li-Ion is in a metal can that can shield it from physical damage. Using the wrong charger on the other hand would still be an issue.

The Li-Ion packs are lighter than a NiCad or Ni-Mh packs so you gain a weight savings and they need less maintenance than the aforementioned battery types.

I even made a pack to replace the Ni-Mh pack in my Multiplex EVO and it is holding up well.

As always this is nothing more than the ramblings of a longhaired freak.....

Robert & Casey Green <robcase1 at cox.net> wrote:
Hey Guys, I am thiking about running lithium-ions batteries this year.  Besides duralite, is there anything else worth using.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Checked by AVG Free Edition.