[NSRCA-discussion] Lithium Ion batteries

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Thu Nov 30 02:24:34 AKST 2006

Ed,

How you charge when you use the two batteries with one or two switches configurations?

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: "Ed Alt" <ed_alt at hotmail.com>

Robert:
You will get a lighter installation from LiPo's vs LiIon's.  I've heard that the LiIons stand up better to abuse if problems develop made during charging, but I believe that you are still supposed to observe the same precautions with either one.  Given that, I did switch to TP LiPo's when I built my Prestige's and they have worked out extremely well.  If you go with LiPo's, you can then afford (weight-wise) to do a simple, but very effective dual redundant battery setup.  I use a pair od 730 mAh packs and can go all day on that.  Check out the Tech-Tip at http://www.tech-aero.net to see how it's done.  It's even easier than pictured in those diagrams now that there is a dual failsafe switch and regulatior available in one package that operates off of just one switch.

Let me know if you have any questions, but a pair of LiPo's and a PLR5-DR is the lightest and most reliable way possible to use LiPo's.

Ed