[NSRCA-discussion] Pipe Length

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Wed Nov 29 09:59:22 AKST 2006

Dave, et all,

The measurement you're looking for is 24.25-25" measured straight
line from the plug to the first baffle on an ES pipe.  My OS140's ran
between 8200-8400 rpm with this setting with an APC 17x12 using
Magnum #1 fuel.  Switching to Magnum 15% gave me ~ 200 rpm less (the
rpm's quoted are takeoff settings not peak rpm).

If you are running in the low 7k range you are either too long on the
pipe, have too much prop (not likely with a 16.5x12W), or you may
have the needle backed too far out.  The OS140 likes to run in the
high 7k's to low 8k's.  You can prop it to run at a lower rpm (the
major benefit is it's quieter when run that way) but it's also more
difficult to do so.  Dave Lockhart had good success doing so but he's
got a lot of experience setting up motors too.

If you set the pipe length to around 24.5" you should be seeing
7800-8k rpm with that prop (which is quiet enough for most anybody
except maybe FAI at the Nats) and vertical performance shouldn't be a
problem with any airplane weighing under 11 lbs.

As always, YMMV.

Thx, Jerry