[NSRCA-discussion] FAI sporting code on judge transparency

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:03:24 AKST 2006

As long as this is being discussed I'd like to make an observation regarding
our NATS scoring.

In local contests, in D6 at least, competitors receive their hand written
score sheets after each round along with their tear sheets. I think this is
good so pilots can double check scores on the written sheet if there's
questionable score on the tear sheet. Errors are very rare, but they do
sometimes happen.

At NATS competitors never get to see the written score sheets, all that is
seen is the tear sheets. I think there are two problems with this, first, it
prevents pilots from helping to catch errors, secondly it provides the
possibility for unethical behavior if a score keeper were to have an ax to
grind with someone.  I want to be VERY CLEAR, I'm not suggesting that any
unethical behavior has taken place at NATS, I'm just pointing out that the
current system "COULD" allow this to occur. Changing this practice could
prevent a possible scandal in the future.

I apologize if I'm too far "off in the weeds" on this, but I've been dealing
with Sarbanes-Oxley too much over the last two years! ;-)

Keith Black