[NSRCA-discussion] o.s. 1.60 backplate fuel pump ?

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Sat Nov 4 08:50:10 AKST 2006

In a message dated 11/4/2006 1:01:33 AM Central Standard Time,
toneuf at sbcglobal.net writes:
Guys,
            OK,   I got into this discussion late...
       I am trying to locate a backplate
       fuel pump unit for my O.S.  1.60  FX engine.
       I read the infomation by Tom Koenig from last year, but still need the
       unit contact information.
       Does this unit acutally exist ?
       Maybe someone out there has a unit to sell?
       If not, can you  give me the forward  to this unit ?
       Austrialia?   Sheesh....
          Regards,  Robert Hixson    San Francisco
When I first heard about people doing this, I thought it was really neat.
Now, after thinking about it, I can't recommend doing this.  Many engines with
backplate pumps have problems with the pumps overheating, and vaporlocking or
deteriorating.  I've seen this on Webras and Mintors, and watched the owners go
to external Perry pumps.  Having the pump separate keeps its temp closer to
ambient.  Plus, you can go to almost any hobby shop in the country, and buy a
Perry pump off the rack for $30, and not worry about having a hard to find
spare in an emergency.  You can change it out without removing the engine if you
suspect a problem.  Todays widebody pattern ships have plenty of room in the
nose, so mounting it is not an issue.  In addition, a separately mounted pump
makes it much easier to adjust pressure as you are setting it up, and it isn't
subjected to all of the vibration of the engine.

Just my opinion.

Jon Lowe