[NSRCA-discussion] Paysant-Le Roux's Oxalyis using a winglet aft of canop...

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu May 25 05:19:15 AKDT 2006

I kinda have to laugh at the Showtime ads talking about "innovative new SFG Technology". I remember seeing pictures 20 or 25 years ago of someone experimenting with these on pattern planes. Nothing at all new. I thought about trying them 15 years ago, coupled with the rudder channel. Perfectly flat knife edge should be possible.

  Bob R.

Rcmaster199 at aol.com wrote:
        Don Lowe discusses a little bit about such devices in the latest MA. One of the photos also shows one of his pattern models retrofitted with the device and I think he stated that in his set-up it wasn't terribly effective. The amount of vertical and horizontal area the little "T tail" adds may be too small for a 2 m pattern model, CPLR notwithstanding.

  The concept is a good one tho, and the idea has been around since at least the Wright Bros, although they may not have used the wing intreplanes with that specific purpose in mind. To my knowledge, Nat Penton originally applied the idea on a model more than 20 years ago. I wrote about that and even played with it in my own models a bit. Back then, the schedules we flew were not that demanding and couldn't really take advantage of the concept, but the schedules we fly now certainly will be easier to fly with such appendages on the models.

    Now the horizontal surface angled at the correct incidence could possibly be enough to counteract the notorious pitch to landing gear that CPLR designs are infamous for with top rudder application. On the other hand, CPLR is gifted enough pilot to overcome the model deficiency on his own, but hey, if he believes it helps, then it does help him and hurts everyone else flying against him.

  MattK