[NSRCA-discussion] Paysant-Le Roux's Oxalyis using a winglet aft of canop...

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Thu May 25 03:34:42 AKDT 2006

My Dad's theory, backed by limited empirical data, is that the T tail will
help those airplanes with a small vertical, and a tall aft fuselage, by
directing airflow over the small vertical.  CPLR's airplanes do not have a well
defined, tall, vertical stab, unlike the Arresti III that Dad tried the T tail on.
I've flown his Arresti with and without the T tail and couldn't tell the
difference.  The CPLR airplane has a tall aft fuselage, short defined vertical, that
would almost certainly be blanked out by the canopy in many attitudes.  Full
scale airplanes have been known to have similar problems.  The original BD-5
didn't have a defined vertical.  Instead, it relied on a tall aft fuselage.
Didn't work, and they had to add a defined vertical stab.

An extreme example of a tall fuselage and a short vertical is the new BEAM
F3A model discussed in the pattern area on RCU.  I'd bet a T tail would help it.

Jon Lowe

In a message dated 5/24/2006 10:25:38 PM Central Daylight Time,