[NSRCA-discussion] Neu gearbox

Larry ledunn at centurytel.net
Mon May 22 13:33:29 AKDT 2006

I received my new budget priced Big Packs from CommonsenceRC last week and
had a chance to run them this weekend head to head against those new
generation Enerland/Tanic packs.

To refresh the details - Motor is a Neu 1515 2Y, 6.7/1 HD Neu gear box,
21x14 APC E, in a Quest 90 G2 at 11lb 12oz all up weight.

Both packs are 2ea 5S run in series and started at the same initial voltage
and temp - 41.66V (aprox 95% charge) 69 deg F. These numbers were taken
aprox 30 seconds into the run.

2ea 5S1P Enerland/Tanics 20C-30C = $620.00 (was a sale price - but seems to
be permanent?)
1298 grms (with connectors)
2275 watts
59.8 amps
5790 rpm

2ea 5S2P 4000 CommonsenseRC 15C Big Packs = $ 313.00
1301 gms (with connectors)
2098 watts
57 amps
5700 rpm

That was only the second run up on those CSRC packs at full power, so I
expect them to improve a small amount - maybe.

I don't own any big Thunderpower packs at the moment, but the obvious set to
compare to would be the new 2100 prolite 15C cells in a 10S2P configuration.
Draganfly has a 10S2P pack for $490. Weight is listed at 924 gms.

So what do you need/want from a big pack?

Max possible power out and super hi voltage under load and run cold under
load and more capacity, but at Porsche prices?

Very good power out and run cool under load and dirt cheep (relatively
anyway) but less capacity?

Good power out (based on graphs I have seen), run warmer under load, but
should still be fine in this application, mid priced, mid capacity but way
(around 13 oz) lighter?

Looks to me like all three have their own niche.

What I really want is a pack that performs like the Enerland/Tanic, cost
what the CommonsenseRC packs cost when they are on sale, but weighs what the
Thunder power packs weigh.

I wouldn't even mind if the packs didn't have that nasty little habit of
blowing up when over charged :)

Larry