[NSRCA-discussion] Brio 10

Larry ledunn at centurytel.net
Tue May 16 21:09:32 AKDT 2006

When the BEC causes the esc to shut down, its because the esc is over
heating. Normally it shuts down the whole works - including the throttle
channel - because the RX has no power.

Did he have throttle control but no roll/pitch/yaw control or did the motor
just continue to run on its own?

It could have been a case where the esc shut down power to the rx, but there
was a slight delay (1 to 3 seconds IIRC) before the power to the motor got
cut off. That's the way Castle (and several others) esc's usually work. When
the signal is lost from the rx throttle channel, the esc will wait a bit,
incase its just a glitch, then it shuts off the motor.

Not all esc's have that feature tho.

You can test how your system responds to a loss of signal by starting the
plane at idle speed and turn off your tx. The motor should shut down after a
few seconds at most.

This will be dependent on the RX as well - if your rx has failsafe
programming, the tx off test may give different results depending on how its
programmed and if it has a throttle failsafe setting. If the rx has a
throttle failsafe programmed - then the only way to test the esc is to
unplug the throttle lead while the motor is running.

What servos was he running and what voltage was the pack and which esc?

I have run 4 servos on 1.5 amp bec's for years and never had any issues.

Larry