[NSRCA-discussion] Question on Macs header & Aeroslave pipe

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun May 14 05:41:11 AKDT 2006

Ed,

I've run a Macs header in my Webras with various pipes (hatori, ES, grieves
and macs but no aeroslaves) and have never broken one. I also had a OS 140
running with a Mueller header-hatori pipe  several years ago and didn't have any
breakage then either. What has worked best for me is to soft mount the pipe
near the pipe's cg, with a simple strap. The engine mount I use is an all wood
Hyde type that I make.

I'll show you next time at the field.

Dean gave me a useful tip recently about setting the pipe. Place model at a
shallow dive at full revs and listen. If the engine goes fat, pipe is too long.
It's that simple. When the engine unloads like that, we want the engine
mixture to change only slightly to richer or possibly none at all. The 160 is much
happier at all power settings now, and I can run the needle at the richer
settings I prefer. And BTW, switching back to the 17x13 2 blade (increasing the
load a bit more), has also improved engine handling. The 15.75x10 3 blade wasn't
enough load for the 160

I think Dave is right about increasing the blade disc of the 3 blade, 10"
pitch he works with. In addition to adding breaks, it will load the larger
engines more and keep them running happier

Hope that helps

Matt