[NSRCA-discussion] Air Breaks

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 15:49:30 AKDT 2006

I use the "spoilers" as we call them a little different than has been mentioned.

  Use 10-25% up ailerons but I don't mix in any Elevator.  My reasons are simple, don't need it for landing.  As I am flying the downwind leg and activate the spoilers the plane pitches up, and actually have used them for spins on very calm days, but as soon as the plane slows down a bit it flies level.  For me to add the mix in destroys the glide path I like.

  The spoilers do have a very noticeable effect on cross wind landings suprisingly, eliminating a lot of the choppy effect but I don't understand why.

  Have done this method on 3 different style planes all with the same result.

  ed

John Pavlick <jpavlick at idseng.com> wrote:
  Bill,
What plane are you trying this on? I have my both my Focii set up with this
and I like it. I use ailerons up and down elevator. In Futaba land I have
+30% Flaps (ailerons up) [= ~ 5 degrees] and -20% elevator (down) but you'll
need to experiment. On some planes I use very little down elevator in the
mix, I just do it manually when I land. I found that using the "airbrakes"
helps me to be able to transition into a nearly flared condition very early
on final without worrying about any tip stalling. You basically head
downwind, chop the power, hit the airbrakes and point the nose down. When
you get close, start to raise the nose and bleed off speed. You can then
drag the plane to the mark with a little power if you need to. Try it at a
field where you have some room. You may find that you undershoot the first
few landings until you get used to how the plane comes down with the
airbrakes on.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com