[NSRCA-discussion] What was the Pensacola contest result?

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon May 8 12:42:05 AKDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 2:55 PM, William C. Harden wrote:

> Well, there definitely has to be a story behind Jerry’s response.
> I don’t think I want to ask.

I think what Jerry referred to was that Everette Carpenter crashed
his airplane when he flew it through the sun and lost it on an early
morning flight before the contest started.  I don't remember any
crashes during the contest.

This year's Pensacola contest was the first in many years that the
weather wasn't really a factor in the running of the contest.  The
weatherman really blew it, because mostly cloudy skies and rain were
predicted, but, except for a very brief (5 minute) shower on Sunday
morning, the contest was dry.  The weather predictions may have
scared away some potential contestants, but the ones who showed up
(~25) had a great time.

The new runway configuration allowed contest management to fly the
morning rounds from the east-west runway, with no sun in sight and
switch to the north-south runway in the afternoon, when winds from
the south picked up.

Tony Stillman promised that the contest report will be on his club's
website (www.nfmi.org) very soon.

Ron Van Putte