[NSRCA-discussion] YS 140DZ tuning question

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 09:50:52 AKDT 2006

You may have seen my previous post about replacement
landing gear for my Temptation which were broken by a
"landing" in a farmers field after an untimely
deadstick.

I could use some DZ tuning guidance. I'm pretty good
at setting up the FZ/L series, but this experience
does not help much with the DZ.  The deadstick occured
on a downline after testing the vertical performance.
I pulled the plane vertical and rolled on the throtle,
it rocketed straight up. Satisfied with the ample
vertical performance, I rolled the throttle back and
did a sloppy wingover to get the plane pointed back
down. I pulled back to horizontal and rolled the
throtle up to about 1/2 and watched in shock as the
prop slowed and stopped. You know the rest of this
story.

Is this a symptom of too rich, too lean, bad plug or?
The needle was open 1 5/8 turns, which seemd to be
good on the ground. I was running PowerMaster 20% DZ
blend, Mejzlik 16X12 prop, OS F plug. The tank is on
the CG, YS foam clunk, no header tank. The vent line
has a check valve to keep fuel from leaking out.  My
plan right now is to bench run the engine to see if I
can figure out the needle sweet spot, but I know
performance in the air can vary. Any help is
appreciated.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com