[NSRCA-discussion] TP 1010 testing

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Wed Mar 29 07:57:24 AKST 2006

Orland and I got one set(the first) of 3200s to try for free to try along
with some other recording stuff that we were not successful making work with
a comfortable range.  We ended up buying five more sets at 1200.00 total.
They effectively lasted 25 cycles b/4 they lost enough cap. that they
wouldn't make it through P05.  They came out with some 4000s that were a
little better and Orland bought some of those for about 300.00(I think) per
set.  I was/am not convinced they would last much longer, so I didn't
participate thinking they were simply going to have to come out with
something bigger and badder to handle the amp draw without burning up.  I
had some huge projects both at work and home that ate up all my time from
about July 4th on so I could relax and wait.  I'm discussing 4800s with them
now.  FMA was relying on what Kokam was telling them when we first started
talking pattern-and as I mentioned a while back, Kokam is acknowledging the
batteries lose cycles at higher C usage in and out-I don't think that was
the case even a year ago!  When we started this electric venture, my point
to all involved was I was going to treat the batteries with respect, but I
was going to fly 'em like I fly-they were either going to work or not-and
they did very nicely-for a while.  But I could see the temps creeping up and
the capacity reduction to where at around 25 cycles, they were effectively
useless.. We abused them at 20-22C on a regular basis.   They were an
experiment that everyone involved learned from.  I was a little
disappointed, but I'm NOT complaining.  Once I got in the groove with the
support stuff and was banging out practice flights in quite a bit less time
than I used to, I learned that it was simply a whole lot less hassle than
glow.  I hope they give me a little consideration on the new sets-but I'm
not really expecting it from the standpoint I'm in and out as my time
permits.

An aside: I attended The KC Flying Circuits club meeting last night and we
discussed the MIFF we put on weekend B/4 last.  Other than a few bumps here
and there, it was pretty successful with a 100 pilots registered.  A few
folks lost sight that it was an all around fun fly and not an 'Extreme 3D
thing' foam fest.  One of the guys had some Orion? Kokam 4800 2 cell
packs(for cars, I think) and those babies were HEAVY-very close to my 5 cell
3200s.  I've got a feeling these are going to be WAY heavier than anyone's
big packs-no matter what the capacity.  But I'll bet we get some decent
cycle times out of them, however.  And that may be the compromise-the more
they try to overcome the longevity factor with more 'stuff' in them, the
heavier they will get with the current technology.  What we need are some
nice, light, huge, controllable capacitors.....

Richard