[NSRCA-discussion] An education in balsa usage for pattern

White, Chris chris at ssd.fsi.com
Wed Mar 29 05:31:03 AKST 2006

Gentlemen...thanks very much on your feedback.  Yes, probably a lot of
misconception came from ads, but also from an almost common comment
picked up here and there saying how hard it is to make a 2meter airplane
come in under 11lbs going the balsa route. I'm a pilot & A&P and
somewhat familiar with light airplane construction techniques and
appreciate design integrity as being the big factor in light yet strong.
In any case I have now heard what I wanted to hear and am looking
forward to seeing Tom's article, and some of the other stuff that Keith
Shaw and the electric guys know.  Brian, I remembered your rebuilding an
EMC2 fuse from balsa and it was pretty light prior to the Texas
midair...(guess that made it even lighter albeit non-airworthy;)ouch.)
I have purchased plans over the years of many pattern planes from the
old Eyeball & Mach 1 to late the Typhoon 2000, &  G202 by Gator RC and
an L'Essence II which used very light construction techniques in coping
with the weight of the gas engine it was designed around. I've looked at
the Patriot, and was encouraged the other day to see Mike Hester
offering plans for the Black Magic.

Suppliers...when I worked in the hobby business years ago we bought
mostly  Sig & Midwest Micro-cut. At that time pattern airplanes were
ballistic missiles with retracts (pre-turnaround) and there wasn't as
much regard for weight consciousness compared to nowadays.  Does anyone
have any experience with Lonestar Models (Riley Wooten).

I'm encouraged to think that balsa is still very much alive since the
days of the DH Mosquito:)  I've seen some guys work with fiberglass etc
that do a great job (Here, I'm thinking of KS hero Todd Schmidt, who
does everything in pattern extremely well:))  Also, some other great
guys from KS have an excellent wing construction article (Terry Brox and
Joe Dunnaway on the Mack RC website.)

I appreciate the wealth of experience out there, and thanks again for
your comments....
Chris