[NSRCA-discussion] Heli coils

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 05:44:09 AKST 2006

With all of this talk on Helicoils for exhaust and glowplugs,  I
thought I'd mention that Clarence Lee (yes, the engine guru that wrote
for years in RCM) advertises in Model Aviation in the classified
section about doing inserts for glowplugs, and doing a brass insert for
exhaust threads on four stroke engines.  He has done several glow plug
inserts in OS 1.60 heads for me, and a brass exhaust insert on a YS1.20
for my Dad and a friend of mine.  He does exceptional work, fast, and
at a very reasonable price, cheaper than buying the tools to attempt it
yourself, and far cheaper than a new head. And you cannot duplicate
what he does on exhaust threads without a whole lot of expensive
equipment. He has the correct machine tools and fixtures to do it
right, without any danger of getting things in crooked, which is easy
to do with Helicoils.  I cannot recommend anyone more highly.  To me,
it just isn't worth it to attempt it myself, because I have screwed up
helicoils before in larger sizes when I was racing cars, and it is no
fun even when you have more room to work than we do.

Jon Lowe