[NSRCA-discussion] Dodged a Bullet Today!!!!Wanderings

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Wed Mar 22 13:11:12 AKST 2006

This might be a case for using the higher dollar chargers-but I haven't used
them with cell balancing-yet.  Did attend a short seminar from Kokam over
the weekend and they have had good luck with their packs not catching on
fire by severely overcharging with the type of manufacturing they do on
many--not all-of their packs.  They have a great deal of interest in safety
in that they are trying to be the first lithium based battery used by Boeing
(and other heavy hitters).  They also acknowledged RC is the toughest
application on batteries.   While I was at it, I showed them my records of
my 3200s-we discussed that while yes the standard for life is charge and
discharge was at 1C (they got 1400 cycles at that)-our use is at 20C+/- AND
THAT IS HOW CYCLE LIFE NEEDS TO BE MEASURED FOR US!  From the horses mouth:
"Well Yes, multiple C-in AND out will decrease cycle life.."   My point to
them was 'OK, throw us a bone-all I know is that at 20C+/-lipos shoot
craps(less than 80%) in about 25 cycles-used and abused.  But now I'm
getting set to spend some fairly serious bucks and I NEED to know what to
expect...."  They seemed to agree that if a battery says it is a 20C-we
ought to have a pretty good idea how many cycles to expect.  Seemed like a
reasonably logical approach to me.  Probably scares the hell out of them
though.   I say this a lot regarding E-We'll see..........

While reading this over, It occurred to me to take the 1400 figure divide it
by 20 and you come up with 70-which is what I understand some guys were
getting with the larger packs-(we were running ours over 20 and fairly
hot--abusive).  There may be some semi-direct correlation there-but I don't
know.  Lighter airframes and bigger packs-but I want to have SOME idea what
to expect.

Richard