[NSRCA-discussion] Dodged a Bullet Today!!!!

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Mar 22 06:07:53 AKST 2006

Our use of Lipos is a special case among the many uses of lithium technology.

  Most of the normal uses of lithium batteries (laptops, cell phones, etc) fall under some sort of safety compliance regulations, ie: UL or CE.  Tests are performed, including abnormal tests where a component might fail, to see that the likelyhood of personal injury or fire hazard is low. As a result, most of the products using lithium batteries have complex charge circuits and battery protection. I've tested some cell phone batteries in the past in which there was protection built into the pack, such that any excursion outside the expected parameters (voltage, current, thermal) would cause an internal switch or fuse to open.

  Modelers would figure out quickly how to bypass all that crap. :-)

  Bob R.

Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

This now convinces me that Lipos are the way to go! Aeroslave is now seaching for an Italian Lipo mfg to bring to the US. Everyone knows that Italian Lipos are the best.

Does anyone ever stop to wonder why only RC users of Lipos seem to have this problem???  If this were a common problem with the other 4500 uses for these batteries you would think that the news sources would be all over it with headlines:

"Baby dies  in Lipo explosion as Mom recharges her cell phone-she thought the phutt was baby gas"

It sure is a good thing that this battery technology has progessed so far.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer