[NSRCA-discussion] CG for PL Products Lazulite

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sun Mar 19 19:00:02 AKST 2006

Don,
PL recommends the same CG for the Smaragd, Partner, and Lazulite - 15/16" behind the center of the wing tube. I can tell you first hand that the Smaragd flies a lot better with the CG right near the trailing edge of the wing tube and others have reported the same thing. I recently asked the same question about the Partner and most of the responses favored a CG ranging from tube center to the leading edge of the tube. I'd suggest tube center or slightly rearward. I remember my first flight on the Smaragd. Just couldn't get used to flying inverted with no down elevator, it was spooky. Moving the CG up to the TE of the tube made the plane lock better and provided better control in snaps and spins. Even at that point, I only have to lean slightly on the down elevator when inverted. Hope this helps. BTW, PL never made an exclusive set of instructions for the Partner. The face sheet shows a picture of Qui Que and his Partner. The first page in explains that the Lazulite photos will be used for reference.

Verne Koester