[NSRCA-discussion] Ocala contest

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 19 15:55:20 AKST 2006

Hmmmmmmmm.... I'll start from Friday.

Ryan McLaughlin, Dave Stodart and myself headed up to Ocala Friday around
noon, first stopping at Mike Constintine's Maryland Chicken for some lunch.
Then we all got to Ocala around 3pm. I got out my trusty trainer and put in
a quick flight to get ready for the weekend while Dave and Ryan were getting
their planes ready. Jon (JL) and Don Lowe (yes DON Lowe), Juan Romero, Oscar
Ceaspedes, Mike Hester were there already practicing (I'm sure there were
more, but my sunburned head isn't thinking straight). Mike let me wring out
his Black Magic V2 through the P-07. I've never seen/felt a plane so large
fly so light (9.75lbs mighta had something to do with it), especially with a
140RX in it. After some uneventful practicing.... oh wait, Ryan's engine
wasn't working. So we went to the hobby shop to get some large fuel tubing,
pulled out the 160, replummed it (JL OS-Doctor) and ran it later that night
in the parking lot, and it seemed ok.

Saturday came and we got to the field early and Ryan got a practice flight
in and all seemed well. Since the computer guy was running a bit late, there
was extra practice for those who wanted it. The contest went off as smooth
as silk for most of the day except when Ron Ellis had an engine go south on
him and decided to call it a contest. Then Ryan's 160 started to act up
again... so he flew Joe Walker's Patriot  for a round. Then he tried his
Impact again, but with a Perry pump (loaned to him by Jim Woodward) instead
of the Klein Regulator. It worked on the ground, the first couple of starts,
but when it was time to fly, it was a no-run. So I offered Ryan my Impact
and off he went. Doc JL suggested that Ryan replace his bearings that were
sounding a bit rough, so off they went to the Lowe-torhome and did a bearing
swap. I got a chance to fly Billy Meadows E-Impact and found out that his
set-up is just about the same as mine. I also got a chance to fly Emory
Schroetor's E-Black Magic V2. I started going through the P-07 and got to
the 8-point and on the last point the plane pitched up (down elevator) and
rolled and yawed too. Everyone started giving me a bad time, until I told
them I'm landing cause that wasn't me. We checked everything over, but
couldn't find a problem.

Sunday morning came and it looked like it would be another great day. A few
people did a practice flight, Ryan included, only this time we opened a
cheek in the front of the plane and let a bit more air inside the motor
area. All seemed well again with the motor. Emory did a range check and his
seemed alright. So the contest started and then all h*ll broke loose. Joe
and I were judging Masters and Emory was 1st up. I was joking around after
Emory asked if we were ready. I said "Go ahead and take-off, it's a 10
anyway". I've never felt so bad about being wrong before. Next thing I hear
is Emory shouting "I'm getting hit!" and I look up to see his brand new V2
go right through the trees on the far side of the field. Stunned silence.
Mike and Emory went to retrieve the parts. Next up, Dave Stodart. Dave gets
ready to take-off and this time I don't say a word. It doesn't help. He
takes off, the plane climbs and rolls right, then he pushes down and smack
into the runway he goes. OK, TIME-OUT!!!!!!!! What is going on here? We find
out later that there was some "noise" on CH-10 and Emory was flying on
CH-11. And Dave forgot to plug in his ailerons (and wings early on the
morning motor run). Ryan finally got through another round, but Jim had a
hole in a fuel line that cut his flight short and I decided to "take a round
off". The other classes went off without a hitch. Only other thing was
Ryan's engine wouldn't stay running for the final round and had to finish
the contest with Joe's Patriot again. We think it's the old pipe that's on
it is bad.

The Ocala club, Chris Hamel and Ernie Merideth did a great job of hosting
and running the contest. 24 pilots braved the sun, wind and fun. Oh yea, did
I mention the sunburn I got during the 80 degree weather? I want to thank
Arch Stafford for "donating" his room when he had to cancel at the last
minute.

I don't have the results, but here's what I remember:

Intermediate was a 3-way race for 1st

Advanced:
1st- Mike Constintine
2nd- Mike Hester