[NSRCA-discussion] Help Needed--Off-Topic (Cap 21 88" WS / GP Giant Scale from 1980's)

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Thu Mar 16 11:01:28 AKST 2006

I acquired a kit and looking for some weight saving tips. I'm trying to see
if a DA-50 is a good match for this plane. I've heard both "yes (will have
unlimited vertical)" and "no (lead sled about 24 to 26 pounds). I thought I
heard this plane was designed for the quadra 35, which I believe was one a
of a few gas engines available then.

My 1st reaction to this plane weighing 26lbs was that I couldn't build it
that heavy if I tried. Then when I opened the box and saw the steel landing
gear weighing in at a pound and the plans have the wing / stabs
fiber-glassed and painted, I thought it's could be possible if the quadra 35
was real heavy back then as well.

Don't have the experience to know so I'm hoping someone here has actual
experience that may help me get it right the first time.

Any thoughts?

Larry