[NSRCA-discussion] Fuel Regulation in 2C Engines

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 17:03:44 AKST 2006

Yes, I am back.  I did some test bench and concluded that the by-pass does not make sense.  Also, I concluded that my problem was really temperature changes.  Usually this is the first winter that I fly pattern.  In the past, I have been flying sport planes in winter time.  Last Saturday, I went to fly and during the day it was warm and the engine idle was working like it was last summer "perfect".  I didn't had any problems with transition going from full power to idle.  Suddenly a cold front came and the temperature dropped at least 10 oF.  Remember, I live in Kansas.  When I flew the first time with the colder temperature, I started to have the problem that I had before in colder weather.  Idle was taking too long when going from full power to idle.  I was able to notice in fly and when I landed.  I just richen not only the high end but also the low end and the engine performed very well in the following flights.  Today, I run a test on the bench and noticed that clearly the final solution is to richen the low end.  Usually, I was richening the high end only when flying in lower temperatures.

I also checked the performance of the engine using the OS 140 RX and the Perry pump with the OS 160 carburetor and the OS 140 RX carburetor.  On the bench the combination of the OS 160 carburetor with any of both pumps work equally well.  The OS 140 RX carburetor performed well only with the OS 140 RX pump.  Clearly, the additional cost of the OS 140 RX pump can not be justified.  As all know, the performance in the air not necessarily would be equal to the performance in the test bench.  However, the results could be interesting for some.  Main conclusion and learning experience:  the combination of the OS 160 FX and Perry pump works very well but it is very sensitive to temperature changes.  Finally, I applied insulation as Nat Penton suggested.  I checked in the bench and appears that is working great.  Final test has to be done flying to check if the carburetor would be less sensitive to temperature changes.

Definitively, the OS 160 FX is like me.  A tropical guy.  Thanks again for all responses.

Regards,

Vicente Bortone

From: vicenterc at comcast.net

Nat,

Interesting, I do exactly as you described.  The engine perform very well when throttling up and idle is fine.  Power is just incredible.  The problem that I see is that throttling down the engine does not go to idle fast enough.  Probably, I am getting too old.

Vicente

From: "Nat Penton" <natpenton at centurytel.net>

Vicente
My experience in setting the idle on a two stroke is to continue to lean until it wont run, then richen slightly. The motor will then be instantly responsive to throttle. If you run with a rich idle you can pinch the fuel line, at idle, and the engine will continue to run, even speed up as it approaches the right mixture.                           Nat