[NSRCA-discussion] 4.8 volt Vs 6.0 volt

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sat Mar 11 12:26:10 AKST 2006

On Mar 11, 2006, at 10:56 AM, J.Oddino wrote:

> I don't see how anyone can call me old.  I've been 29 for as long
> as I can
> remember.  I'm 29 to the 1.274 power now and since I got my new
> knees I
> really feel young.  I went to the gym this week (four weeks after
> surgery)
> and did 1.6 miles in half an hour on the treadmill and made 65 free
> throws
> in a row.  Wait til I get my hook shot back.  None of these young
> guys have
> hook shots so they don't know what to do when they get the ball
> under the
> hoop.  The usual result is a blocked shot.

Well, I'm about to celebrate the 42nd anniversary of my 29th
birthday, have all my original equipment, except for bionic lenses,
and I can walk all the way around the block if the wind isn't blowing
too strong.  I don't do basketball, but, then again, I never did.

> I hate to admit this, but I remember when servos didn't have
> numbers.  In
> fact I remember when model airplane servos weren't really servos.
> They were
> actuators with limit switches and neutralizing switches and driven
> by relays
> in the receiver.  Then Bonner/Elliott put transistors in the
> "servo" to  get
> rid of the relays in the receiver.  I'm not sure who gets the
> credit for
> having the first commercially available proportional servos but I
> remember
> giving up building my own and buying some Space Control servos in
> 1961.
> What is most interesting is the fact modern servos work basically
> the same
> as the so called "digital servos" introduced by Mathes and Spreng
> in about
> 1963 in their Digicon system.  I think this was before Bob Richards
> was
> born.

I can remember Lorenz, deBolt, Dunham, Bonner, Kraft and all the
other famous oldies from reading about them in the magazines.  Geez,
I can even remember World War II, rationing and blackouts!  Yeah,
we're getting old.

Ron Van Putte