[NSRCA-discussion] 4.8 volt Vs 6.0 volt

J.Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sat Mar 11 07:56:09 AKST 2006

I don't see how anyone can call me old.  I've been 29 for as long as I can
remember.  I'm 29 to the 1.274 power now and since I got my new knees I
really feel young.  I went to the gym this week (four weeks after surgery)
and did 1.6 miles in half an hour on the treadmill and made 65 free throws
in a row.  Wait til I get my hook shot back.  None of these young guys have
hook shots so they don't know what to do when they get the ball under the
hoop.  The usual result is a blocked shot.

I hate to admit this, but I remember when servos didn't have numbers.  In
fact I remember when model airplane servos weren't really servos.  They were
actuators with limit switches and neutralizing switches and driven by relays
in the receiver.  Then Bonner/Elliott put transistors in the "servo" to  get
rid of the relays in the receiver.  I'm not sure who gets the credit for
having the first commercially available proportional servos but I remember
giving up building my own and buying some Space Control servos in 1961.
What is most interesting is the fact modern servos work basically the same
as the so called "digital servos" introduced by Mathes and Spreng in about
1963 in their Digicon system.  I think this was before Bob Richards was
born.

Jim O