[NSRCA-discussion] 4.8 volt Vs 6.0 volt

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 10:15:59 AKST 2006

Escapements? What's with the plural?

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Bob
Richards
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:00 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 4.8 volt Vs 6.0 volt

Ron,

I remember when KPS-14 and KPS-15 were the servos of choice (or PLS-14
and PLS-15 for us Proline fans). Much simpler times.  No need for four
digit servo numbers. :-)

My first radio came with KPS-11 servos with the linear output racks. You
know, pull-pull setups would be so simple with linear outputs.
Now I expect all the REALLY old farts to chime in about having to wind
up their rubber-band escapements before each flight. (Bill Glaze?? :-)

I suspect the servos he has will be fine if the throws are kept down to
the small amount needed for pattern.  However, the control surfaces are
probably much larger than anything on pattern planes back in the
60s/70s, so the longer moments will be working harder against the
servos.

Bob R.

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

Third, you may not be aware, but 30 years ago many of us were using
Kraft KPS-12 servos (smallest and lightest!) in .60 cu-in engine powered
airplanes weighing up to 8 pounds.  The KPS-12 servo had a torque of 18
in-oz. Think about that for a while.

Ron Van Putte