[NSRCA-discussion] 2C Pipe vs Muffler

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 17:00:17 AKST 2006

So you are saying you have tried a comparison of a tuned pipe vs a muffler back to back? Any data?

From: Rcmaster199 at aol.com

In a message dated 3/6/2006 6:57:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, jeffghughes at comcast.net writes:
was going through the data on Ed Hartley's 2 stroke page and noted that there is virtually no difference between a piped OS1.40 and a muffled OS1.40 for the prop sizes being used.  I assume that is because to get a nice linear throttle curve on a pipe, the pipe is deliberately set too long for peak horsepower. My question is why run a tuned pipe at all if you are going to set it too long for peak power?. Has anyone run back to back tests with same engine and plane with a pipe vs a muffler to see if there is truly a difference in power or feel?

Yes and there is

MattK