[NSRCA-discussion] Noise - Overfly - and Different Aerobatic Model Types

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Mar 3 03:52:39 AKST 2006

Jay,

  That is so true. So many clubs have noise rules that are useless, like "muffler required". Those clubs that have a "xx dB noise limit" may not even have a dB meter.

  And, unfortunately, there are muffler manufactures that have a huge part of the market because of club rules such as this. As long as you have anything strapped onto your engine, you pass the club rule.

  I belonged to a club years ago that had a dB limit (rather high, actually) but no enforcement whatsoever. I had a dB meter with me, and I decided to measure the noise from a ducted fan that was starting up in the pits. I simply took a reading, then walked back to my planes. I never said anything to anybody about the reading. Well, you would have thought the crap had hit the fan (no pun intended). The officers of the club invited me to a private meeting and wanted to discuss "the noise situation at the field". They felt that my having a noise meter at the field was subversive!

  Funny thing was, they never asked me whether the ducted fan met the rules. It did!!! But, they did not care.

  It is this mentality that is the hardest thing to overcome when talking about noise and our models. Making the planes quiet is much easier. Convincing modelers that it is a good idea is by far the most difficult aspect.

  It always seems that the people that make the most noise with their models are never the ones that are around when it is time to search for and develop a new flying site. (Just my observation).

  Bob R.

Jay Marshall <lightfoot at sc.rr.com> wrote:
  Of course the local clubs are partly to blame in that they don't establish
and ENFORCE noise rules.