[NSRCA-discussion] Noise - Overfly - and Different Aerobatic Model Types

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Mar 3 03:42:06 AKST 2006

Dean,

  Right on point. I've been involved with a flying field lost due to noise, and was also involved in a successful fight to keep a field open after neighbor's complaints. Better to be reasonably quiet in the first place. Once you have upset the neighbors to the point that they start to complain, their "threshold of pain" becomes much lower. Once they have made up their minds they don't like you, they probably never will like you again, regardless of what you do.

  The one - maybe the only - big negative that I see with IMAC is the noise level along with the noise footprint.  But, you know, 20 years ago you could say the same thing about pattern. I just hope the guys in IMAC (and giant scale in general) can learn from the mistakes made in pattern --  BEFORE flying fields are lost for both camps!

  Bob R.

Dean Pappas <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:
    Hi Dave,
What I hope we are saying here, is that being smart and making our aerobatic planes quiet is good for the continued survival of both events. Of course, if flyers with large, loud, and far-away 40% planes lose all our practice fields and practice sites ...

This is just how the West Windsor contest in Jersey became a "first annual and only ever" event.
Sadly, I have to say that two or three IMACers joined the club, and within a few months, we had no Pattern Contest, a 6:00 P.M. weekday curfew on wet power, and neighbors who are now very aware of our existence. Being noticed ain't always a good thing! Smart noise abatement programs are aimed at preventing that first complaint. Once it happens, it's almost too late.