[NSRCA-discussion] Monocote report from GP

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 08:23:26 AKST 2006

 Saw this on RCU:

  Facts about Top Flite Super MonoKote:

In order to clear up some of the misconceptions that have been surfacing lately concerning Top Flite Super MonoKote, we would like to clear the air.

In no uncertain terms, let us state that the manufacturing process of Super MonoKote has not changed since the introduction of this product back in the 60's. The basic formulation has only been changed as necessary to comply with the ever-evolving EPA regulations where some specific solvent and pigment compounds have become banned substances. As such, a substitute formulation has sometimes become necessary. In every such case, Hobbico has worked with our vendor to minimize the impact on any products other than the specific color(s) affected by the EPA regulations.

We are sure that the film vendors like DuPont and Dow Chemical and such have also been regulated by the EPA in what specific chemicals and processes they can use in the making of the films used for this product. Our specifications to our vendor state that the films are still the same films always used, with the same high clarity and surface finish, plus shrink properties, as historically used.

Therefore, it is possible that the application parameters and techniques have evolved very slightly. For example, more heat and a bit more pressure are typically needed with certain colors in order to achieve the award winning finish that MonoKote is known for. The bottom line, however, is that Top Flite Super MonoKote is still the best heat shrink covering on the market. Super MonoKote is still made by the same supplier with the same specifications that have always been used.

As always, when a roll of material does not perform up to the user's expectations, we would like to receive a sample of the material and welcome the opportunity to try to make it right with the user. We're modelers too, and use the material here in the development of our own new airplane products, as well as our own kits, ARF's, and other modeling projects. If something is going wrong with a certain batch of a specific color, we want to know about it so we can correct the situation.

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: hobbyservices (at) hobbico.com