[NSRCA-discussion] Scale Pattern?

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed Mar 1 05:04:32 AKST 2006

I flew a CGB Sukhoi for a long time in IMAC until they decided to go to
these outsize "models."  Thanks to Bob Richards and John Ferrell I got
interested in Pattern flying at one of Bob's Pattern Primers.  I went to a
couple of pattern events, and got turned off by the airplanes that I felt
were "ugly."  In fact, I wasn't going to go any further until I saw a Dick
Hanson Excess, (Extra 300 semi-scale.)  So, I became highly interested in
pattern, but I felt the airplanes didn't look good, (except for Hanson's
design) and I'm a sucker for a good looking airplane.  (No smart remarks,
please!<G>)
I even took the Sukhoi to Muncie in 1997 to the Pattern Nats', and did
better than I thought I would.  I truly loved flying the Sukhoi, (still do)
and had the opportunity to ask Dave Patrick how he came up with such a great
flying design.  His answer:  "I just drew it up, and then I stretched it
until it looked like a pattern model."  Hmmm......... O.K.
Than, after a serious talking-to by Gary Harris and Ed Bailey, I was
convinced that a full-blown pattern ship was required.  Fortunately, Dick
Hanson had brought out his EMC^2, and with a lot of help from John Ferrell,
it was ready for the 1998 Nats.'  Even now, I prefer flying a pattern plane
for just "fooling around" at the local field.  Why?  Because they fly so
much better, and are much easier to fly well.
If we could get somebody who  is truly a prospect to fly a pattern airplane,
(and I don't mean for 5 minutes or so) out at the local field, it would go a
long way toward inculcating him with our sport and our sporting appetites.
O.K.,  I agree:some who evidence interest do so out of politeness or mild
curiosity.  And, as it has been said, some won't be interested; the "gallon
of fuel a year" types will tend to think we're kind of crazy, (which we
probably are)
One thing I learned as a salesman:  You've got to know who is truly a
prospect, and who is "just looking."
Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Bill Glaze