[NSRCA-discussion] FAA scolds sheriff for flying drone

Archie Stafford rcpattern at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 05:34:40 AKDT 2006

Honestly, I can't believe they even tried it.  I've had to deal with the FAA
many times with our unmanned aircraft projects.  Everything in the
requirements specifies that if it is for commercial use then it falls under
FAA guidelines, not a hobby.  Technically these guys doing helicopter shots
for realtors and such would fall under these guidelines as well.  They have
been pretty firm on their requirements with us anyway.  The certification
process is a pain, that is why most of our flying takes place on military
ranges, but we have received permission to fly elsewhere.  I have yet to
talk to any FAA officials who have had any issues with the R/C stuff.  R/C
guys for the most part use designated fields and have the AMA.if the police
fly that thing, and lose it and crash through a house.then they would have a
heck of a lawsuit on their hands that would be against the city of LA.

Arch

  _____