[NSRCA-discussion] Noise rules

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Jun 20 08:35:09 AKDT 2006

Adam

You are talking FAI I do believe. For AMA it is 96 dB on hard and 94 on
grass (right?)  Grass in this case is easier as it kills much of the
exhaust noise, but in your case, at  92 and 94, prop noise is the main
driver and the grass has less effect, so you are probably right that it is
better to have the 94dB on hard.

At the NATS where I am a terminal Advanced flyer, my noise reading are
always lower on the grass (site 4) than what I measure at home on the
asphalt.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
Raytheon

Adam Glatt <adam.g at sasktel.net>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
06/20/2006 11:08 AM
Please respond to
NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Noise rules

I think I'm agreeing with you, Gray.  I know that in my experience with
noise testing YS 140DZ pattern planes, 92db on grass is much harder to
meet than 94db on hard.
-Adam

Gray E Fowler wrote:

> Grass can kill 3 db....on a pattern plane where the exhaust exits down
> 2 inches above the turf. Not so much on higher exhaust sport planes.
> Pattern planes are all about prop noise...especially on grass.
>
> It is easier to pass NATS noise requirements on grass than hard
> surface even though there is a lower allowance for grass.
>

> Gray Fowler
> Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
> Radome and Composites Engineering
> Raytheon
>

> *"Michael Wickizer" <mwickizer at msn.com>*
> Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
>
> 06/20/2006 10:37 AM
> Please respond to
> NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

>                nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
> cc
>
> Subject
>                Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Noise rules
>

> Lance / Gray:
>
> How does the 103 db at 10 feet over hard surface translate to a grass
> field
> / strip?
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>

> >From: Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com>
> >Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Noise rules
> >Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:20:26 -0500
> >
> >John
> >
> >To add to Lance's experience (he and I authored that specific noise
rule)
> >most of the loud boys start out having no idea how loud they really
are.
> >103dB is real easy to obtain , almost all of our planes are under
> 100. 3dB
> >= 2X loud. The "A" weighting discards any sound below 500mhz. This is
> >important as "bass" does not irritate but can easily place you over the
> >limit. 1000 to 4000 is the most irritating to Mr Bob Complainer. This
> >brings up problem #2 which is large supersonic prop tips. Guess what
> >frequency they pop at??? right at 1000-2000 and now matter how quiet on
> >the ground the plane is, a supersonic prop in a dive will not only piss
> >off the neighbors but club members too. We dealt with this by limiting
> >prop size...that is making the IMAC type planes go to 3 blades. You
> cannot
> >believe the grief I got by putting this in place....a guy spends over
> >$5000 on his plane and then bitches about having to buy a $150 prop. He
> >ended up selling his whole rig...plane, 5th wheel to haul it and all.
The