[NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Jun 19 07:12:40 AKDT 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 10:49 PM, Bob Richards wrote:

> In looking at the pattern rules posted on the AMA website, I can't
> find the "supplemental" rules regarding the Sportsman class.
> Specifically, I'm looking for the rule regarding the relaxed
> aircraft requirements for the Sportsman class. In the past, a
> Sportsman flyer was allowed to fly any AMA legal airplane and was
> not limited to the size or weight restriction of the other classes.
> The Radio Controlled Aerobatics PDF file on the AMA website makes
> reference to page 2 of the supplemental rules, but I can't seem to
> find that document anywhere.
>
> My son is presently flying an IMAC class 45cc gasser that weighs
> just under 14 lbs, and would like to enter it in some local pattern
> contests as well. I want to verify this is legal before we go to a
> contest and have somebody question the rules allowing it.

I e-mailed JohnFuqua (chairman of the R/C Aerobatics Contest Board
about this, since he's not on the NSRCA Discussion List, and here's
his reply:

"The "supplemental" rules are those found in the General Section of
the Rule Book (actually page 3).  It covers Supplemental/Provisional
rules.  Sportsman is a supplemental class not an official event.

"Sportsman must fly 11 pound airplanes UNLESS the local CD has made
an exception to that rule for that contest."

Ron Van Putte