[NSRCA-discussion] JR and un-regulated 6V

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Jun 16 07:59:17 AKDT 2006

John,

  For some things, I like analog. For fluctuating signals, a needle is good. Some digital meters have an analog bargraph for that reason.  My Fluke has that, as well as a min/max function which is handy. However, you can't get 3+ digits precision with a needle. :-) I need that for checking Lipo cells to make sure they are balanced before/after charge.

  I like analog tachometers, I still have a really old Royal tach that I built from a kit back in the 70s. Still resides in my field box.

  Bob R.

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
          I find an analog meter more useful than a digital. Any drift while reading is obvious. Also, when you watch the meter and it looks like the voltage is going up, the resistor wattage is low, it is getting warm and changing value.

  I use a cheap Hobbico analog ESV with short, permanent leads. It lives in my radio case. I use it before every flight. I try to use it after every flight as well...

  John Ferrell    W8CCW
"My Competition is not my enemy"
http://DixieNC.US