[NSRCA-discussion] Voltage regulatormaintenance/replacement/reliability

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Fri Jun 16 07:12:42 AKDT 2006

VRs don't "wear" out, but they can fail due to many causes. Replacing a good
one is not necessary. The only truly safe setup is using two batteries, one
regulated at a high voltage and one at a lower voltage. If the high voltage
circuit/battery fails then the low voltage one will get you back to the
ground safely. Since it is required for only a short time it can be a much
smaller battery.

One thing to remember: a system that draws 300 ma from a 5 V battery will
still draw 300 ma from a 8V battery with a 5V regulator. The regulator will
has to dissipate the difference 3V at 300ma as "wasted" power. Needless to say,
the mAh of the larger battery will have to be equal or greater than the
smaller one - you are still drawing the same current. Bigger battery = more
weight, unless you are changing technologies.

As far as replacing batteries: a lot of chargers will now tell you how much
charge you put back into a battery as well as go through a discharge cycle.
It's a good idea to do this on a relatively new battery, but not for the
first few charges. Log the data for future reference. When the battery will
only accept 85 - 90% of this value on a discharge/charge cycle, then I would
replace it.