[NSRCA-discussion] JR and un-regulated 6V

White, Chris chris at ssd.fsi.com
Fri Jun 16 04:05:17 AKDT 2006

Hi Matt,

Thanks very much for your response....!

Chris

________________________________

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of
Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:40 PM
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] JR and un-regulated 6V

Sure Chris,

I have spoken about Radical RC before on this forum. That's where I
purchased mine. Very inexpensive packs BTW. Regarding low resistance,
they probably do have lower resistance than the earlier 4 cell NiMH
purchased from them several years earlier

About 5 years ago, on Earl Haury's suggestion, I bought the 4 cell
1650's and liked the response. BUT, flight times improved only
marginally from the original NiCd 1400 JR pack. Maybe one more flight.
Over the past 4+ seasons, since 2002, it was the only pack I had in
service (2 airplanes). It started to show signs of wear though as
response time started lagging more and more. I decided to change to the
5 cell earlier this year with much improvement

The longer flight time was unexpected I must admit. I figured whatever
time gain I made in voltage-speed equation I would lose in
current-torque. Not so!

I don't know for a fact that these are better, lower R cells, they are
after all Sanyo's. My airborne set-up is unchanged from earlier in
Temptress; same servos and linkages. Servos have routinely been serviced
so I can't say where one set of pots worked better than another. It
could be that the cells are more closely matched. That's what DinoP
thinks anyway.

Hope that helps. BTW, lower R cells are definitely the way to go with
NiMH. Lag time can be noticeable with standard cells and is very
annoying. Been wanting to go to LiPo airbornes for that reason. Eddie
Alt built me a very nice settable switch/regulator and I have the set-up
ready to go. I set mine at 6.5 volts, just perfect for JR airborne rigs

Matt

In a message dated 6/15/2006 8:56:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,