[NSRCA-discussion] JR and un-regulated 6V

Thomas D. Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Thu Jun 15 13:05:43 AKDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:49:00 -0500
Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Anthony Romano wrote:
>
> >  I am looking for a decent ESV that isn't $50.
>
> I don't know why one would be looking for an ESV when you can get a
> really nice digital voltmeter that measures several ranges of AC
> volts,  DC volts, Ohms and DC amps at WalMart for about $18.95.  Go
> to the Auto Department and look for the ElectroTek meter.  They used
> to be dark gray, but current models are yellow.  The local electronic
>
> guru uses one and sold the rest of us on it.  I have two: one for the
>
> shop and one for the van.

My reason is simplicity.  I have a couple good DVMs around the house (my
ham call is KL1EL), but I use an ESV because it takes up less room in my
flight box, requires no batteries and is as simple to use as plugging it
in and pressing a button.  No trying to find the load resistor, no
setting the dial to DCV/correct range, no dead batteries, no building or
adapting the test leads for R/C use, no forgetting to turn it off...

Just my $0.02

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Thomas D. Simes                                 simestd at netexpress.com