[NSRCA-discussion] JR and un-regulated 6V

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Jun 15 12:29:10 AKDT 2006

Take the digital meter, add a load resistor, and you've got what you need.

  For the resistor, at least 2w (preferably 5) and about 17 ohms would give about 300ma current at 5v. For the best accuracy, connect the resistor to the plug that goes into the charge connector, not at the meter end of the cable.

  I purchased a voltmeter from Sears, about $50, but it is also a clamp-on current meter that will read both AC and DC current without having to insert itself in the circuit. I use it a lot with my electrics.

  Bob R.

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Anthony Romano wrote:

> I am looking for a decent ESV that isn't $50.

I don't know why one would be looking for an ESV when you can get a
really nice digital voltmeter that measures several ranges of AC
volts, DC volts, Ohms and DC amps at WalMart for about $18.95. Go
to the Auto Department and look for the ElectroTek meter. They used
to be dark gray, but current models are yellow. The local electronic
guru uses one and sold the rest of us on it. I have two: one for the
shop and one for the van.

Ron Van Putte