[NSRCA-discussion] Calling a contest for rain

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 11 06:48:47 AKDT 2006

I've CD'ed more than a couple contests and this is the only decision  that keeps me up the night before a contest, when to call it a washout.  Anything else, we'll find a way to make it work.  So I'd like to  hear a discussion of this.  This isn't about Muncie, I didn't go  and its not about second guessing any other contest decision - a  discussion in general.

  For me personally, I have to go with Mike.  When I leave the house  for a contest I've making a commitment of both time and money.  By  the time I get to the contest site, at the price of gas today and given  that I've probably spent a night in a hotel, I've already spent or  fully committed most of the money and the better part of two days of  time.  To me a 4 or 3 or even 2 round contest is better than not  flying at all.  I know its not fun sitting around watching rain,  and that pattern people are totally without opinions and have nothing  to talk about to each other, but I'd rather do that than get in car and  head home thinking "well that was a waste of 2 days and a couple  hundred bucks."

  Thoughts?

  Ed

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com> wrote:   Do you realize that this makes 3 straight days that we've  had total washouts at the shootout? This is because we didn't fly last  year on Sunday.
   I think that we call contests way too  early. It's a shame that we didn't at least attempt to wait till the  afternoon and get in 2 flights. I've been told that someone actually  stayed and flew in the afternoon. We had people that drove some  long distances that dissevered a better attempt.
   I  don't get why so many are in such a rush to go home. When did it  become a rule that we have to be done very early on Sundays also. I  remember Rough River in 1987 waiting out the rains on a Sunday and  having the award ceromony in the dusk. Bottom line is we got in a  contest. This go home early stuff is bad.
   What's to say that we couldn't have flown 2 rounds today?
   Is it getting to the point where if the weather forcasts show the slightest possability of   rain that we should just stay home?
   I love coming to contests and seeing all my friends but to be honest its the flying that I'm there for.
  ---Mike