[NSRCA-discussion] Andersonville contest

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Mon Jun 5 11:40:57 AKDT 2006

Hi All,

A big giant thanks to Emory, Ken, and ultimately Mac for hosting and putting
on the contest.  This was a lot of fun.  Flying F07 on Sunday was a nice
shot-in-the-arm for the FAI folks, and I believe everyone else enjoyed
seeing the pattern.  There were several potential FAI nationals
finalists-judges here, so at least they (as well as the pilots), got a jump
on understanding the F pattern.  Flying P07 is fun, but F07 is exciting!
I'm really glad that the contest CDs, and competitor atmosphere at the
contest allowed this change to take place at the last minute with total
support and no dissent.  Because of the late change, Emory had to close the
contest at 5 rounds for FAI and open a 1 round contest for the F pattern.
Which ain't a bad idea as everyone started out with a change to win the F07
round :-)  I got some practice on the pattern in the morning, and as such it
was decided I should fly the first round so the other pilots/callers could
see it.  Joe Walker was up next and picked up Ryan's Impact!  Lamar was up
third and flew his new Aggressor with Jason calling.  Jason was up last and
flew very nicely!  Again, as 3 of the 4 pilots were going plan to go to the
nats and there were some potential nats finals judges there, I think it was
a fun and GREAT way to spice up the normal contest.  I hope we continue this
as a D3 tradition as long as the Nats is setup where most will fly the F
pattern.  Just prior to the round we informally gathered and all talked
about the pattern, maneuver positioning, "safe" ways to get through it if
needed..  It was fun and definitely reminded me of the unknown rounds in
IMAC.

To summarize the F round:

Jim flew his spanking-new E-Aggressor, Joe borrowed Ryan's Impact (maneuvers
more demanding than the Patriot was designed around), Lamar flew a new
plane, and Jason had his worlds E-Impact.  Excitement and Pattern are not
usually in the same sentence, but this was an exciting and educational thing
for the all of us.  The F pattern is a reality if you fly FAI, and I'm glad
we put it on the table for a local contest!

Thanks Guys,

Jim W.

  _____