[NSRCA-discussion] YS140DZ idle question-answer

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 19:14:16 AKDT 2006

No. The DZ series does not use a pressurized fuel
system. The fuel is "sucked" from the tank by the fuel
pump on the down stroke of the intake pushrod (valve
closing), and "squirted" out to the injector as the
intake valve pushrod opens the valve. The regulator on
the front of the fuel pump limits the fuel pressure by
opening when the fuel pressure is sufficient to
overcome the spring tension in the regulator. The
spring is much stiffer than the spring in the FZ/L
series motors. There is no low end adjustment on the
carb in the DZ series, so the regulator is used to set
the idle mixture. Start the engine, set the high end
needle as you would on any other YS, pull the throttle
back to idle. If the engine slows down and dies, it is
rich, turn the regulator out to lean it. If it speeds
up and dies, it is lean, turn it in to richen it.
Recheck the high speed needle.

These engines will not tolerate restrictive fuel
filters. I am currently using a Sullivan Crap Trap to
keep the big boulders out of the fuel system and it is
working well. I'm still playing with using a check
valve on the vent side of the tank. It works well
without it but I get some leakage out of the vent.

I have recently been through an extensive learning
experience with the pump system on these engines. If
the fuel lines past the pump blow off the fittings,
the pump regulator is set too rich or is sticking
closed. If you are having trouble with the adjustments
it might be time to have the pump/engine serviced.

I will say the power of the 160DZ is incredible, way
more than what is needed to pull my Temptation through
the Masters sequence. I'm running an APC 18.1X10 prop,
the thing pulls like a locomotive and slows down as if
you threw the anchor out. Vertical uplines, even with
rolls are just over half throttle. The only possible
disadvantage is the prop is heavy and will probably
cause more rapid conrod wear.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com