[NSRCA-discussion] Snaps

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Jul 9 04:49:16 AKDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Ed Alt wrote:

> To Doug's point re. the long tail moments & added stability of
> Pattern designs, this can be overcome pretty well with enough
> control throw.  Granted, it's not going to be just like a Scale
> Aerobatic design, but real snaps can be done and barrel rolls can
> be avoided.  I remember the angst that was generated by the reverse
> avalance in Masters in '05.  Fears of bent wing tubes, busted wings
> etc.  Locally at least, there were several examples where very good
> pilots had to re-do their setups to get enough throw to make this
> maneuver happen properly and not bend their airplanes.  Well, not a
> single airplane in the district was damaged that I know about, but
> I do remember having discussions about upping the elevator and also
> rudder throws to get the autorotation to happen properly. Hey, I
> admit to having only a short 2.25 year Pattern flying history, but
> as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be part of the Pattern
> "DNA" to set airplanes up with enough throw in alot of cases.
> Having the deal with a schedule including the loaded snap in the
> reverse avalanche has advanced the knowledge because guys had to
> figure it out.

Here's a good example of what Ed's talking about relative to using
enough control throw to get a good snap: I have a Focus I (very long
tail moment) and use 6 degrees of elevator throw for normal flying,
but it requires 20 degrees of elevator throw to get a good snap.  It
sounds excessive, but, if I use less elevator, I have to cut way down
on aileron throw to be able to stop it before it over rolls the snap
and the snap doesn't look "right".

Ron Van Putte