[NSRCA-discussion] Snaps

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 09:10:38 AKDT 2006

Jerry and Ed, et al,

Not to belabor the obvious here, Pattern and IMAC models are quite different
aerodynamically. Where it makes sense for the IMAC model to behave a certain
way in a snap, the same can't be said or shouldn't be said for Pattern models.

Regarding tail path during the snap, its appropriate for the Pattern model to
inscribe the requisite cone where for the IMAC model its appropriate for the
nose to do as Ed suggests.
It's possible to make a cone shape with rudder-aileron inputs only, except
the apex will not be the cg (actually the AC, but thats another matter).

Point taken is that many IMAC people "get" their description but probably an
equal number of Pattern people "don't get" ours.

The snap roll is not difficult to neither perform well nor to judge
correctly. I do not subscribe to huge elevator input concept to initiate the snap if
the model has been designed correctly to begin with. (Here's where the major
departure between IMAC and Pattern models surfaces since Pattern models start
with a clean slate but IMAC models are limited). Elevator input is a must but
only to highly load the wing. Rudder application will do the requisite lift dump
on the inboard panel. I also don't subscribe to leading rudder in the snap, as
some rather prominent pattern people have suggested, since that trully
displaces the model

In regard to getting any maneuver description to Don for certification, that
would be unfair to Don or the Judging Committee for that matter. We (the JC)
do not "certify" maneuvers; that's the Contest Board's responsibility. We
simply try to clarify poorly written yet approved descriptions. We don't have
authority to approve policy only to write it for CB submittal (which every one has)
or to clarify it. Sometimes, even clarification gets us in trouble so we
really don't have that authority either, but have assumed it in an effort to help
the community.

Matt

In a message dated 7/8/2006 3:09:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,