[NSRCA-discussion] Analog Servo RF Masking and....Thanks!

J.Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Wed Jul 5 20:18:51 AKDT 2006

PPM signals are analog, not digital.  If there is noise introduced to the system in the RF link it shows up as jitter (small changes in pulse width at fairly high frequency) on the pulse width output to the servos.  As the range increases the noise increases and the jitter increases.  The digital servos have very tight deadband and will respond to the pulse jitter.  The analog servos may have a large deadband in which case they would not respond to the jitter.  A PCM receiver is a true digital device and noise added in the RF link can not get through.  If the noise gets bad enough it will go into hold or failsafe but you will not get servo jitter.

Deadband is the range that the pulse width can change before the servo will respond.  A tight servo will respond with a pulse width change as small as one microsecond.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem but it is something to check.  Hope this helps.

Jim O