[NSRCA-discussion] Scott's problem

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Wed Jul 5 14:54:09 AKDT 2006

Hi all,

I realise this thread has had considerable coverage-very informative. I might just add some of my thoughts/experience.

After looking at Scott's equipment list, I was somewhat surprised at the variety of equipment manufacturers. Now I understand that many, many, people have working outfits by mix and matching gear together-but I no longer do this due to some bad experiences umpteen years ago.

I'm glad Scott appears to have found a solution by going to the Futaba receiver ( essential I feel).

If I may add some of my experience-something I see virtually every other weekend at the field ( even at comps) This is the bad 'lead' scenario.

For me a golden rule (pardon the pun) is to NEVER use non genuine leads. DO NOT mix other manufacturers leads together. I will not use a non genuine lead with a genuine lead. Many times I see problems and the reply is: "but its a Futaba lead" and then see its not a 'genuine' lead.

Whilst the plug and socket may fit together-the pins and sockets are DIFFERENT shapes form one manufacturer to another, and may not contact properly. The gold plating is often not of the same quality or film thickness, the copper wire maybe a different gauge and strand count.
Never mix silver and gold leads either. NEVER.
Another area of trouble I have witnessed is when aftermarket products are purchased (such as regulators, batteries, switches) which come with leads fitted. These leads often tend to be a 'one fits all' type-and never genuine. If I had a dollar for the amount of leads I've replaced with this scenario!!!! I highly recommend getting rid of these "one fits all" type leads and buying a genuine lead, cutting it up and re-soldering it to the regulator, battery or switch.

So without going on too much-guys -be aware that 'leads' are not all created equal and I highly recommend that you use  genuine leads and connectors only throughout your installation. It is a small price to pay with regard to the overall value of your model. If you use a mix and match of servos-cut the leads and solder on the correct connector.

Sometime ago, I sold one of my old Merlin's with servos in it (Futaba servo's) but he used JR. Within two days I was accused of having sold the guy dud servos , he nearly crashed the plane. I diagnosed the problem via e-mail. It was all lead related. The solution was cutting leads and fitting JR/JR and Futaba/Futaba.
The plane has continued to fly since without even one more glitch. He has since added this to his book of 'experience'.

Anyway, I hope this may help some of you.

Best regards

Tom

*PLEASE NOTE*  This email and any attachments may
be confidential. If received in error, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. The reproduction or
dissemination of this email or its attachments is
prohibited without the consent of the sender.

WARNING RE VIRUSES:  Our computer systems sweep
outgoing email to guard against viruses, but no warranty
is given that this email or its attachments are virus free.
Before opening or using attachments, please check for
viruses.  Our liability is limited to the re-supply of any
affected attachments.

individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of the
organisation.